Awesome People

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Blog of Note



Don't you love the internet? The randomness of it? How you can stumble onto something completely awesome without even trying. That's what happened to me today when I read an amusing comment by one of my readers and lazily clicked into his profile which lead me to his blog, Valley Dreamin'. I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this blog. J.D. describes himself as a "confused 15 year old cinephile." Really? Because he doesn't seem confused at all. He seems smart, funny, well informed, did I mention smart? And since I have yet to read anything he has written with which I disagree, I think he has great taste. While so many movie bloggers,most of them well past the age of puberty, are getting themselves all worked up about the latest Hollywood shoot 'em up he is waxing lyrical over Fanny and Alexander, the superior five-hour televison edit, naturally. Well, he also waxes lyrical over Wanted, but c'mon people: Wanted was pretty awesome. (I'm not going into details here, but I started to write about Wanted and abandoned it because my review seemed too snarky. I couldn't quite convey how completely crazy it was while simultaneously expressing how much I enjoyed it without seeming completely detached and ironic.)
The great thing about reading someone like J.D. is that he is still in a stage of discovery. There's no sense of "been there, done that." Sure, he's seen a lot of movies, but there are so many things that seem new and exciting to him and he can do nothing less than fully express his enthusiasms. A movie can be rated A++++++++++++(ad infinitum) because that's just how much he liked it. Ah to be young again!
I rate J.D.'s blog A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Check it out!

1 comment:

J.D. said...

Awwwww, thanks! <3