Awesome People

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Good News, Bad News







I'm conflicted.

I should be thrilled to learn that  Alex Pettyfer (who I kind of like, if you didn't know) may have just landed his first big American film role.  Beastly, based on a novel by Alex Flinn is a modern day take on Beauty and the Beast, told from the the beast's point of view and it has been widely reported over the last 24 hours that Alex is "in talks" to play Kyle Kingsbury, the beastly one of the title. Despite the fact that the boy in the novel is a ninth grader at the beginning of the book, in every other respect Alex is perfect for the role-- that is, if he can master an American accent. In fact, I'd be practically ecstatic if it weren't for this one thing: The "Beauty" in this version will be played by... Vanessa Hudgens.

Now, I have nothing against Vanessa Hudgens as a person. I mean, she's undeniably pretty. From what I can tell, she seems like a nice girl. In those naked pictures of her that were all over the internet she had really lovely boobies, if you're into that sort of thing. It's just that... as an actress-- no, I can't even use the word actress-- as a screen presence she does absolutely nothing for me. She just seems sweet and vapid and boring and blah.

Why? Why not a good actress? There are plenty of them out there. Why, why, why Vanessa Hudgens?  Why must you ruin this moment for me by being so mediocre?

Sorry about that.

Here's something they don't really mention in the dozens of entertainment blogs that have written about this, and it mitigates the Hudgens factor somewhat:  The novel is really all about Kyle.  Linda, the girl, is barely even in the first half of the book.  I'm sure the film makers will do something to build up her part a bit, but I'm just saying.

4 comments:

Dame James Henry said...

That's very interesting because I've heard rumors that the Hudge is playing the Beast. Seems appropriate to me.

Anyways, I know you have a "thing" for this Alex Pettyfer fellow and this is great news, but I'm a bit saddened. I heard a rumor a while ago that this was supposed to star Zac Efron and Leighton Meester and that would have been an awesome film.

Vera said...

That didn't happen because of the writer's strike, actually.

Dame James Henry said...

What a shame. I would have loved to see what those two could have done together.

jaymcfly said...

yeah , i know what you mean about vanessa and her screen presence , I allways thought who ever plays sharpay in HSM has bags more presence .

I think they need to think about a young claire danes for this sort of a role .

Of course I think action alex would make a great beast !