Awesome People

Monday, October 26, 2009

Guilty Pleasures, Wuxia Edition











I don't know if I've ever mentioned how much I love old-school Kung Fu movies? Just seeing the words ShawScope on my screen fills my heart with glee! What could be better than watching handsome, athletic, often scantily clad men fighting to the death for love, honor and brotherhood? Lately I have crossed the line from fascination to obsession, trolling the internet for never-released in the USA region 3 DVDs of Chang Cheh classics, or pre-stardom Jackie Chan flicks, internally debating the merits of The Iron Triangle vs. The Venoms or Shaw Brothers vs. Golden Harvest (no contest, by the way). Just the other day I was watching a relatively minor "historical" epic called The Pirate, no relation to the Judy Garland/Gene Kelly musical of the same name, and it occured to me that if there was a handsomer man in the world in 1973 than Ti Lung, I'd like to see him. Doesn't he look especially fetching in high '70s mode?

2 comments:

=Mothra= said...

Great stuff Vera!
That first pic is truly priceless.

Uncle Mame said...

Fabulous! And I thought *my* absorption with athletic asians was bad.