Awesome People

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Alex Pettyfer, Muse








For those of you who are convinced that no one else in the world is quite as nuts about Alex Pettyfer as I, here is hard proof that Alex mania is sweeping the globe.

Greg Gorman
is a top celebrity portraitist and fine arts photographer. You may not know his name, but you've seen his work- some of his photographs are iconic. His recently published book, In Their Youth, is described by the publisher as comprising "over 200 of the California-based photographer's previously unpublished portraits from the last three decades, featuring famous actors shot when they were still unknown young men, from teen years into their early twenties." In truth, the book features a mixture of the very famous and the not quite famous, has-beens and never-weres, big stars and complete unknowns. It is a beautiful book, a true object of art, and I promise you that it would look good on any coffee table.

With the exception of three people, there are one or two photos of each subject. In the middle of the book Jared Leto gets three photos. The book opens with seven photos of Leonardo Di Caprio taken between 1993 and 1997. The book closes with these seven photographs of Alex Pettyfer.

In an introductory interview Gorman says, "More recently, I've been photographing a young actor named Alex Pettyfer. We have a photographic relationship that's spontaneous and connected, in which we provoke, push and disturb each other into creating strong images. We play off each other in a symbiotic relationship that allows great work to develop. And that's why I call Alex a muse of mine, and why I wanted to close the book on those pictures, which showcase some of my most recent work."

I believe that these photos capture the essence of Alex better than any I've seen since his first session with Kai Z. Feng in 2007. What do you think?

5 comments:

Luke said...

Those are great photographs and I it's real generous of you to share Alex with Greg Gorman so we all can get a glimpse of his beauty.
That book looks like a must have - thanks for the headsup!

April said...

I think Alex is absolutely beautiful. I don't use that term on many men, because the word encompasses more than just looks. I think Alex is the total package. Looks, talent, and personality. I've always said if Michaelangelo were alive today, Alex would be his David. Alex is my muse as well. I wrote a novel-length, adult, paranormal romance story and penned the lead male character after his looks and my own perception of his personality. If you're interested, check out my author website.

aprilbostic dot com

bryboiblue said...

I think that these are amazing, amazing photos. Normally facial hair, even a little scruff, annoys the hell out of me, but Alex .. oh Alex ... there's so much beauty underneath that it just comes shining through.

His confidence to do shoots like this is incredible and it's not surprising that photographers who enjoy shooting virile young-adult males seek him out and develop lasting relationships.

Thank you so much for posting these gems, Vera. And I'll definitely be checking out the book in the near future.

GAY/BARE/PLAISIRS... said...

salut
super blog
je l'ajoute a mes favorit blog a visiter a+++
lorenzzo

Karen said...

I have never seen such stunning photos ever. Muse - what a great concept.