Awesome People

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Now That Salinger Is Gone...


J.D. Salinger's death means that after all these years Catcher In The Rye will almost certainly be made into a movie. The question that springs to my mind is: who will play Holden Caulfield? I'm not exactly endorsing this choice, but assuming they (whoever they are) don't go with a complete unknown, and it happens sooner rather than later, I would not be a bit surprised to see Logan Lerman in the role. At the risk of sounding like a total cliché, Catcher In The Rye is one of my favorite books, and I think that it's essentially unfilmable. Salinger (obviously) thought so too, and you can see why he thought so here.

5 comments:

neil said...

Why do they wait for an author to pass before making a movie? Wouldn't it be nice to have someone involved it the screen play that knows the story better that anyone else? Maybe that's the point? Authors are not very flexibly about their stories. Might be reluctant to update the story.

Srcatcher in da'House: Staring Snoop Dogg

"If’in a girl looks swell when da bitch meets ya’ll, hoo gives a damn if’in she’s late? No way me. Unless da bitch late in a different way? ...meh haz ta goed. Shit! out o’ da way"

Vera said...

Many people tried to obtain screen rights to Catcher In The Rye over the years but Salinger refused to sell.

jaymcfly said...

I could see la logan in the role , in a way he played a version of holden , 'in my one and only ' . Leo circa in This Boys Life would make a great Holden as would Emile at one time .

I wouldn't mind if they filmed it as long it was done right .

Dame James said...

On one hand, I'm excited at the prospect of seeing one of my favorite books on-screen. But, on the other hand, I know whatever is shown on-screen, no matter how good it is, will never top the movie I've imagined in my head all these years. For Holden, I hope they either go the unknown route or pick a young actor not too well known with the general public (bye bye Zac, Taylor and Rob). If they do it within a couple of years, I could see Nicholas Hoult in the role. Or, and this is a big or, maybe Sterling Knight if he wants to really stretch as an actor.

Vera said...

I think Nick Hoult already reads as too old, but yeah, I think I could see Sterling Knight in that role. I'd like to see him do something a bit non-Disney.