Awesome People

Friday, June 25, 2010

Sexual Icons Of My Youth #2

In the 1980's Scott Madsen was the Soloflex boy, appearing in a series of iconic print ads, posters, brochures, and beautifully produced TV infomercials which mostly consisted of Scott wearing tiny gym shorts whilst demonstrating home work-out equipment.  For gender balance, a young woman got in on the action a bit, but mostly it was Scott.  I used to scan the cable dial (36 channels back in those days, and yes, it was still a dial) seeking out those ads, and most of the time I found them.  After Scott left Soloflex he was replaced by a boy named Randy PotterRandy was beautiful, but it just wasn't the same.

Here, as a special treat, is the very first Soloflex infomercial, entitled The Promise.  To give you an idea of how times have changed, please note the narrator telling us that "you don't want big stomach muscles."  Nowadays, huge abs seem to be the first goal.


Check out a great Scott Madsen shrine here.

6 comments:

Jarrod said...

Where can I get one of those ? I mean Scott, not the Soloflex ! LOL

bufs said...

Oh, my. I well remember Scott exactly as you ... sex on a freakin' stick (or whatever that silly contraption was.) It wasn't technically from my youth, but close enough. Many thanks for the sweet reminder. Vera rules!

ShowBizBuff said...

I used to have the very posterbook that many of your images came from; Scott was instrumental in my first admitting my attraction to men, and very my "solo" material for me, as well, back then ... thanks SO MUCH for the memories!

木堯木堯 said...

生存乃是不斷地在內心與靈魂交戰;寫作是坐著審判自己。......................................................................

Mike Ellis, The Jolly Reprobate said...

Oh, I remember this boy well, though I didn't know his name at the time. I also remember Randy Potter and, briefly, ads featuring Olympic gymnast Mitch Gaylord. All of them had a lot to do with my brain finally saying, "Oh! You like men! Y'know, that explains a lot."

Thanks for the memories.

Pitbullshark said...

Scott Madsen was so hot that even the sight of a Soloflex machine would give me a hard-on.