Awesome People

Sunday, October 30, 2011

25 Songs, Part 2

Continuing on with my list of most listened-to songs on iTunes, but first, here's a cute guy to keep you happy. 
 Who knows what you will find after the jump?


 



Excuse me, but have you seen my pants?  I had them just a minute ago.


Coming in at #7 is my favorite Kate Bush song,  the exhilaratingly weird Wuthering Heights.  I couldn't decide which of the two videos she made for this song was better- they are both positively goofy. I don't get it. She writes these brilliant songs but then does these cornball dances to them while emoting like Pola Negri circa 1924.  It's positively mental.


Now, let's see. Who would be my perfect Heathcliff?

Let me in-a your window...
#8.  The Smiths- There's a Light That Never Goes Out.  I would have expected Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want, or perhaps Girlfriend In A Coma, but there are times when I really want to listen to a song with lyrics that go, "And if a double-decker bus crashes into us, to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die, and if a ten ton truck kills the both of us, to die by your side, well, the pleasure, the privilege is mine."  They don't write 'em like that any more. Ah,  yes, Morrissey! Making pop music for suicidal teens since 1982.

Even medicated teenagers need sex symbols, and unfortunately, Ian Curtis was already dead.
#9. Mama Who Bore Me, from the Broadway musical Spring Awakening, sung by Miss Lea Michele. Exquisite.  Here's Lea singing  a very abbreviated version of it, and just for fun we have Spring Awakening (and Glee) co-star Jonathan Groff doing his version. 




And a picture of Jonathan in Taking Woodstock, because he was so very fine, as was Mr. Demetri Martin.
Next up is the first of two appearances by U.K. boy choir, Libera.  Perfect music for drifting off to sleep.  Soloists Joshua Madine and Benedict Phillips are 17 and 15 years old now, and presumably, no longer sopranos.




More to come...

1 comment:

jaymcfly said...

mmm the smiths , the early gigs around london were quite mad as i recall , flying flowers everywhere , and teenage boys getting on the stage to hug morrissey . As much as I adore Morrisseys Quiff , I always liked Johnny mars do at the time .

Johnnys guitar work on the inception soundtrack is stunning .