Awesome People

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Vera Waxes Nostalgic

When I was very, very young, these are three songs that I remember as my very favorites, and I am still rather fond of them.   

Petula Clark made quite a few records that I love, but Downtown will always be my favorite. I mean, who didn't like going downtown?  There were movie shows there!




It seems as if I have always known and loved Nancy Sinatra's recording of These Boots Are Made For Walking.  It wasn't until I was an adult that I saw this performance she did on a TV special. She had some other hits, but this is the one that really sticks with you.

 

I vividly recall asking my kindergarten teacher if we could sing Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows in lieu of the usual Head, Shoulder, Knees, and Toes. She didn't even acknowledge my request.  I didn't even know then that the singer of this song was Lesley Gore, or that some day, many years later, she would come out as a lesbian in the pages of The Advocate. You go, Ms. Gore!

2 comments:

Prince of Pinkness said...

Downtown! I also recall it being played by a band in one of the JAWS films I saw as a kid. It's a shark thang. ;)

bufs said...

Vera, I was waxing nostalgic along with you about Leslie Gore and was about to chide you for not mentioning my favorite Leslie Gore song eva', "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" ...

... when it occurred to me (thanks, Google!) that I was thinking of another iconic singer from that era, Dusty Springfield.

See:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBwSN0Yw5l0

Sweet nostalgia, though, even if I am an idiot!

Thanks, Vera!