Awesome People

Saturday, April 14, 2012

A Woman's Heart Is A Deep Ocean Of Secrets



No doubt you have already heard that today marks the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the RMS Titanic, and I commemorated the event by watching A Night To Remember, the very stiff upper lip, historically accurate (except when it's not) 1958 film,  and last week took in a 3-D screening of James Cameron's blockbuster, Titanic

I know, I know, it isn't fashionable to love Cameron's Titanic. It obviously made much too much money to be actually good.  The dialog is bad,  it plays fast and loose with the facts, it dares to focus on  (gasp!) fictional characters, it's too long, there is that awful framing device, and of course...  the song.  I know. I get it. I'm not going to argue with you.  

But...

It isn't cool to say this, but when have I ever suggested that I am cool? I unapologetically love Titanic. I think it is a pop masterpiece. Over-ripe, over-long, silly, manipulative as hell, but tell you what, if you want to see your Auntie Vera cry like a baby, sit down and watch Titanic with her.  The waterworks will start at about the 15 minute mark. Every time I watch this movie I immediately want to watch it again. And I'll tell you something else. Leonardo DiCaprio's face circa 1997 is a true miracle. I could gaze upon it forever.

King of the world!
More of young Leo after the jump.











3 comments:

Luke said...

I watched it only once in the cineama and I admittedly was moved too by some scenes. I probably won't go and see it in 3-D because I suppose the plot isn't ging to change.
I definitely liked Leonardo DiCaprio back then...a lot.

Freline said...

I love this movie too. I was 15 when it first came out and I had a huge crush on Leo. Even today, going on 38, he is a beautifully sexy guy. Just wish he didn't smoke! I would have given anything to be in Kate Winslet's place during the car scene.

I saw the movie EIGHT times in theaters back then. I can't wait to see it in IMAX-3D. I unfortunately missed the last IMAX showtime of today, but I will still see it in regular 3D. What better way to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the sinking?

God bless those who perished 100 years ago today. You will be in our hearts forever.

jaymcfly said...

I love the scope of titanic , I'm always a bit of a sucker for huge sets . I must get the blue ray soon .

Fab pictures of Leo ! some of my faves there .