Awesome People

Thursday, May 17, 2012

R.I.P. Donna Summer

I'd be nothing but a liar if I said I wasn't a fan of Donna Summer.  Her popularity pretty much coincided exactly with my teen years, and although she was too mainstream to be cool with the sub-suburban hipster crowd I ran with in high school, everybody listened to her music, even if they didn't admit it.  For a while, she was THE pop diva, with movie appearances, TV specials, duets with Streisand, etc., but unfortunately she was too associated with disco to survive its demise, and she seemed to simply disappear in the early 80s.  She famously found Jesus, and urban legend has it that she tried to buy up the rights to her early, sexually suggestive recordings so she could make them disappear forever.  She also courted scorn with her gay fans, which, by then, were her only fans, when it was reported at the dawn of the AIDS crisis that she had publicly declared the disease a "punishment from God." She later vehemently ever saying this, but by then the damage was done. She never made a comeback.

I can't believe how much of her music I have on my iPod.


1 comment:

Pitbullshark said...

I'm not sure how you define "comeback" (as in "she never made a comeback"), but I got to see her perform live at a sold-out concert at the Hollywood Bowl in 2008 (which was fantastic!), and she came out with a great new album, "Crayons" that same year. I see that someone has posted on YouTube a song that happened to be my favorite from that album, "I'm A Fire" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIqN7vXvYbs ) (I regret that your comment site doesn't accept HTML, or else I would have put in a clickable link) and also on YouTube
is a mix version of that song ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT-yEzaBlOU ) that was number 1 on the Billboard dance chart that year and they claim that she had a number 1 hit every decade since the 70s.

I am sorry that she died, way too young, in my opinion.