Awesome People

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Have You Seen This Picture Before?

Longtime readers of this blog may recognize this photo, which I first posted in the Spring of 2012.  I knew that I had posted it in the past but I wanted to find out exactly when.  I found what I was looking for, but also discovered a site whose M.O. is to lift the content of my blog- photos, commentary and all- and publish them, in their entirety, without comment or attribution, on their site.  I'd say I was surprised, but it isn't the first time it has happened. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but stealing is just stealing.

2 comments:

Sandy Ricks said...

I sympathize with you when it comes to someone reposting your commentary but unless you know this guy and shot the photo I don’t see how you might consider this ‘your content’. Many people don’t realize that it is possible to do a google image search by opening two windows and dragging the actual image into the google page set for “images”. When I do that with this image I get page after page after page of hits. Imagine how the original photographer must feel when you complain that someone posted it and didn’t attribute it to you....

Vera said...

I don't consider this picture "my content," nor was that my point, but I do consider my words to be my content. I attribute photos and link back to original sources whenever possible. In fact, I did a Google Image Search on this picture and was unable to locate the original source for this image because the picture was so widely distributed online. I also found the site I referred to, which simply republished my entire blog, word for word, not just one post, but hundreds of them. And guess what? I do object to that. Thanks for the lecture, though.