Buy Stuff

Monday, June 30, 2008

What If You Published a Blog and No One Read It?

You may have noticed from the little box on the right side of your screen, the other day, in an act of hubris, I subscribed to Feedburner. There are a few benefits offered by Feedburner. First, they allow you, the faithful reader, to subscribe to a feed so you will never have to miss one of my scintillating posts ever again. Secondly, they promise to help promote traffic, how I don't know. And finally, and most intriguingly to me, they compile statistics about your site so you can see how many people are visiting your site, what they are looking at, etc.


Here's what I found out. No one is reading my blog. Well, not "no one." Out of the One and a half Billion people who use the internet, three of them visited my site in the last two days. And I think that at least one of these people is me looking at my own blog from work. Yee haw. I have one subscriber (whoever you are, thank you). On an average I have zero hits per day. Zero.

Now, I admit that I have never been very good at self-promotion. My own lack of self-confidence is profound, and usually well-founded. But I have made a few attempts to get the word out on this blog. Granted, I've only been doing this for a few months, but criminey! Zero hits per day- did I mention that?

So, then, that leads to the question at the top of my post. What is the point of a blog that nobody reads? Is this just some kind of cyber-masturbation? Because it would be much easier for me to look at pictures online and make snarky comments on them to myself without posting them online. Decisions, decisions.


9 comments:

Milamber said...

i'm one subscriber

Vera said...

Well, I want to thank you for being my only subscriber. I really appreciate it. I'm going to work twice as hard to make my blog enjoyable for you. Maybe you can tell me what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong. I don't know if I'll really change anything, but I would like some input.

Milamber said...

first and foremost, post whatever you want. make the journal about your interests. i belong to livejournal because of it's communities, but i don't get much feedback there either.

just when i think no one is reading, i get feedback, but if i did it for that, i'd be hurting. i've made some good friends over the years since i began blogging way back in '02.

i am more cautious about what i post now because of the 2257 regs, hopefully those will be overturned in time.

until, post what makes you happy, post for yourself and the rest will follow.

Syeuk2002 said...

I visit at least once as day. :)
Please keep it going.
Let me see what I can do to boost your traffic.

Simon
XD

Vera said...

Thanks for your support Simon. Don't worry, I'm not going to quit.

mischa said...

Mischa loves Vera and her blog.......and all the fabulously lovely photos. I'll try to comment more. I'm so not literate with computers so I'm not sure how I can help promote "on-line" but I do tell everyone I know to check it out.

Syeuk2002 said...

Good, I'm glad to hear it.

I posted several "look at this great blog if found" messages on several big gay forums (big gay forums! lol)

Lets hope it generates some traffic.

Why not post the blog here?...
http://www.topsiteguide.com/toplist.asp?site=MaleBlogsGuide

Simon
XD

Terry said...

The point of writing a blog that nobody reads is to build an audience so that, when you hit it big, they can say "I was reading him from the beginning, you posers."

It just takes time. You're a regular surfing stop for me, since we have similar tastes in eye candy. I'd never heard of some of the people you've posted about, but they're on my radar now! /grin

Vera said...

Thanks Terry. I'm glad you like my stuff. I doubt that I'll become the next Perez Hilton, but then I wouldn't want to be. Except of the obscene amounts of money, of course.