Buy Stuff

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A ramble. And a Picture.



I have always intended for this blog to be more than just pictures of pretty boys (as much as I like pretty boys) and to use it for some kind of real expression. I've read a lot of blogs that are nothing more than laundry lists of banal tasks, boring opinions and intensive naval gazing. That's not what I want to become. On the other hand, gay picture blogs are a dime a dozen and most of them regurgitate the some pictures as every other gay picture blog. For instance, the pictures of Alex Pettyfer that I posted here a few days ago rapidly appeared on at least five other blogs in very short order. Yeah, yeah, great minds think alike and all that, but surely people get bored pretty quickly. (Yes, they do. And don't call me Shirley.)



OK, I'm not really sure were I'm going with this.


Let's backtrack. At the beginning of this month I installed a counter on this site. You may seen it. Now, a while back, some of you may recall, I bemoaned my lack of readers and wondered if I should even bother with this blogging thing. What I learned from the counter was that I have far more visitors than I ever imagined. In fact, on average about a thousand hits a day. In the scheme of the whole internet, not that many, but for my little upstart blog, I was pretty happy about it. Then, always one to look a gift horse in the mouth, about a week ago I signed onto Google Analytics. So now I can see where my visitors come from ( a big shout out to Finland!), which sites link to me most (Casperfan), the length of the average visit (1 minute, 58 seconds). About 80% of my visitors are first-timers. I have a fairly high "bounce rate", which is bad, apparently. At least three of my readers have visited over 200 times in the past week (!) but the majority of my visitors stop by just once. The single most popular thing on my site is the blog entitled "Mitch Hewer Gets Nekkid", with almost 900 page views in the last week even though it was posted in May. My second most popular post is the one titled Smilin' Ed Speleers, followed by the general Alex Pettyfer tag.


Again, where am I going with this?


Well, that's the question, isn't it? Not just where am I going with this post, but where am I going with this blog? Do I want to get a lot of hits by posting pretty pictures? Should I even care how many hits I get? But what's the point of even doing this if no one reads it? And since I know that some people do read it, how much do I want to share the intimate details of my life with complete strangers? And if I took that route, would anybody care? In the immortal words of Roseanne Rosannadanna, "You sure do ask a lot of questions for a guy from New Jersey!" (I'm not from New Jersey.) There are a lot of blogs out there that I like and admire and I wish mine were more like them. I've blogged about a few of them, Valley Dreamin' and Boy on Film. I've been meaning to write about Rants of a Diva, too. My friend Mischa has only just begun his blog, but it is already very entertaining and with a distinct voice and point of view. Matthew Rettenmund's Boy Culture blog was one of my inspirations to start blogging in the first place. He manages to write about hot guys, politics, pop culture, his personal life and Madonna, in a wise,witty and lucid manner. Of course, he is a professional writer and I am... not.


There are a few of you out there who have given me feedback. Most of the feedback is along the lines of "You go, girl", or "He's hot." And I appreciate that kind of feedback. A few people have even given me constructive criticism, some of which I have actually implemented. I really appreciate that kind of feedback. I want to know what people think. Should I change it up? Do you like it just the way it is? Is there something or someone that I'm missing and should check out? Is there anything I'm doing that's just plan annoying? I want to hear from you. Talk to me.

But I'm afraid that no matter what anyone says I'll always post pictures of Alex Pettyfer whenever I can find them.

3 comments:

Sean said...

i like your blog.

Vera said...

Thank you Sean. I appreciate that.

bufs said...

Your blog is fly. (Isn't that what those crazy kids say?) Why mess with perfection?

PS Naval gazing can be fun, if the fleet's in!