Buy Stuff

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Holy Art!


Considering how homophobic the Judeo-Christian tradition can be, I always find it interesting to observe how homoerotic its iconography often is. Check out this piece by French artist William Bouguereau. At first I thought it was a weird pietà, but questions arose. Who is the big guy? Why is the Madonna figure so tertiary? And why is the Christ so uncharacteristically boyish? Turns out that this is a depiction of Adam and Eve mourning the death of Abel. Bouguereau is well known for his depictions of the nude female, but he was no slouch with the boys either.

4 comments:

jaymcfly said...

what a great painting , love the dude draped over the other chaps knee .

Luke said...

Hm...and I thought you had given up Catholicism for lent...

Vera said...

Silly Luke. Adam and Eve were Jewish!

mischa said...

Sure wish I had myself a flashlight