Buy Stuff

Friday, April 3, 2009

History in the Making! Happy Day!


Today, the Supreme Court of my little, midwestern state, Iowa, decided unanimously that it is unconstitutional to deny the right to marry based on gender. That's right,  little podunk Iowa has declared that same-sex marriage is legal.  And what's more, unlike California, the only way this decision can be rolled back is with a constitutional amendment. But guess what?  With the Democrats controlling both the Iowa House and the Iowa Senate that's not going to happen any time soon, and even if it does go up for a vote, Iowa makes it very difficult to change the constitution.  It's a happy day for gay people in Iowa (and there are more of us than you think) and, I hope for gay people everywhere.  I know I'm not usually this sincere, but after eight years of nothing but bad news, and despite all the doom and gloom about the economy, I actually feel like this country is heading in the right (that is to say, the correct) direction again.  I hope I'm not wrong.

5 comments:

Hemingway said...

My Illinois boyfriend and I may just be heading your way. (I'm in Minnesota.) Who'd have thought that the original home of the "corn-fed-blond" would be such a bastion of enlightenment? Congrats progressive!
Warm Regards,
Hem

Mike Ellis, The Jolly Reprobate said...

Congratulations.

Meanwhile, down here in the reddest of states, I have figured out why it's so easy for Texans to not believe in evolution: it's because people here are not very evolved.

poolman said...

Hopefully Vermont will be the next domino to fall. Same-sex marriage legislation passed their Senate 26-4 and the House 94-52. Although Gov. Douglas says he will veto the Bill (as of Apr4-09) with legislative support that strong it'll only be a matter of time before that state becomes the 4th to "see the light".

seanisbored said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
seanisbored said...

clap clap clap

:)

C'mon Ireland (I hold out no hope for China).