Buy Stuff

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Retro Cutie





In 1982 Nick Heyward was the epitome of the cute/nerdy new wave boy. He was one of those guys who was probably pretty average-looking, but because of his innate charm and style you never really noticed it. Go to YouTube and look at the Favourite Shirts video and you'll see what I mean. I pretty much would have drank his bath water. His band, Haircut 100, was riding high on the success of their album Pelican West, which stands today as one of the most delightful pure pop albums of the era (right up there with Duran Duran and Wham!). By the time Haircut 100 started making waves in America, they were pretty much over. Nick went solo and the band made one album without him before breaking up. Nick soldiered on and his first album produced a song, Whistle Down The Wind, which belongs on any short list of the most perfect pop songs ever written. However, aside from having two songs in the movie 16 Candles, he disappeared from view in America. I was happy to learn recently that he is still making records.


In the last picture you will see that my dog, Jeely Kly, has somehow managed to time-travel back to 1982 to meet Nick. Why didn't he take me with him?

3 comments:

jaymcfly said...

How lovely to see Nick featured , I still listen to his music today . I'm very Looking foward to his new album . I think hes a great song writer and singer of pop songs .

We used to share the same hairdresser back in the day
on the Kings Road . Truly a Lovely chap indeed .

Uncle Mame said...

Cool cat!
Hey Vera, you gonna get married now or what?

Vera said...

Mame, honey, I'll marry him as soon as he asks me!