Buy Stuff

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Pages From The Big Red Shoebox #1

I have this big red shoebox.  On the outside it says, "Dr. Martens Greasy Gibson Shoe size 11. " Those were without a doubt the best shoes I've ever owned.  They are  long gone now.  These days, inside that box there are hundreds of clips and torn out pages from magazines that I have collected over the years.  I also have several other boxes of varying sizes full of old magazines and clippings. I am now  embarking on a project to save the stuff I really like in digital format so I can recycle all of that old paper.  It's a big project, and time-consuming, but I feel as if it has got to be done, mainly because I don't want to end up like one of those sad cases they have on Hoarders.  And I figured,  while I'm at it, why not share some of this stuff with you?  That's right, it's a new feature here at the big gay blog.  Welcome to the first installment.

Today we have some scans from a 1999 issue of Mondo Uomo featuring lovely, young, quasi-talented Ryan Phillipe, who would have been 24 years old at the time these photos were taken and at the height of his (still barely diminished) physical beauty.  Enjoy!








3 comments:

Pitbullshark said...

First, I commend you on your "clean-up" action...guess who REALLY needs to follow suit! Also, I enjoyed your comments about Ryan Philippe (of whom I have my own similar collection). You described him as "quasi-talented"; he seemed to be quite talented at the beginning of his career, particularly in "White Squall" in which he was so touching about his brother, but the promise did seem to diminish from there to the point where it began to look like his only talent was his extreme beauty. Then you said, "...would have been 24 years old at the time these photos were taken and at the height of his (still barely diminished) physical beauty"; in my view, his beauty was at its height around the time of "54" or maybe "Cruel intentions", but then began to slide down from there. I used to want to see everything he was in, yet lost interest somewhere along the way, I guess about the time he joined the "scuzzy pack" of extremely beautiful young Hollywood men who went around looking like they badly needed a shave and a shower, and when he also began sleeping around beyond his wife at the time, Reese Witherspoon (which I guess was a reaction to her greater career success). I guess we (I?) treat the ones the harshest whom we liked the best, and I'm certainly not one to talk about faded beauty (if I ever had it in the first place), but Ryan Philippe, yeah, it long ago diminished.

Jason Shaw said...

Thanks so much for posting. Amazing man.

mischa said...

Does the clean out extend to the garage????