Buy Stuff

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Never Forget


Today I did something on Tumblr I’ve never done before. I unfollowed someone. I’m sure that most people on are well aware that today is the day that many of us are speaking up against homophobic bullying, supporting gay youth, and memorializing gay teen suicide victims by dressing in purple. (Yes, I said “victims” and I meant it.) The person I unfollowed was a girl who chose to use the occassion to say, “Fuck You” (literally) and made her dubious point that because this is Breast Cancer Awareness Month we should not be doing this because more people die of breast cancer than suicide and because suicide is a choice.

Life is not a zero sum game. We can support Breast Cancer Awareness and still try and do what we can to keep kids, gay and straight,  from killing themselves. I’m sure this girl does not consider herself homophobic, but the way she skipped right past a civil discussion and went right to “Fuck You” tells a different story. I don’t allow people like that in my life, and I don’t need them on the internet, either.

Let me end this with a message to all the gay, lesbian, transgendered people who are reading this, and also to the people who truly love and support us. We have been lulled into a false sense of security. The powers of hate are gathering their ammunition and they are preparing to attack. We can not remain silent. Speak out. Do something. Do it now.


4 comments:

neil said...

Have you noticed how the political righteous and religious zealots have toned down the gay-hate speeches? I was posting three or more a day on my blog not long ago. Now nothing. To suddenly not have this constant barrage of news to post is is wonderful, if that's the reason? Or they are just sharpening their knives for the next attack.

The death of these children was by their hand.

Jarrod said...

Hi, Vera, I did a special post on my blog today, too !
Keep the S-P-I-R-I-T !!

bryboiblue said...

We all need to be out there, speaking, acting doing everything in our power to reach out to those around us to lessen the fear and to show support for those growing up and struggling with coming to terms with their sexuality.

RC said...

I completely agree with you on this. While breast cancer, or any cancer for that matter, is horrible to suffer, there is absolutely NO reason that anyone should be persecuted to the point of taking their own life just because of who, or how, they show their love.
I have never been very political, but I feel that the harshest penalties should be brought down on those who cause a teen, or anyone, to take their own life.
Murder is murder, no matter how you look at it.