Buy Stuff

Friday, February 18, 2011

I Am Number Four Friday




After what seem like an almost endless wait, today, for the first time ever, I was able to walk into a movie theater and buy a ticket to a film starring Alex Pettyfer.   I've seen everything he's ever been in, of course, but this is his first movie to get an actual release in the United States.  The movie is I Am Number Four, and it is... OK.  It isn't really the kind of thing I would go to if Alex Pettyfer wasn't in it. It seems to be aimed at a very young audience, and I am long past being very young.  It's not an Earth-shaking, life-changing experience,  but it was a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.  I laughed out loud at least once, which is saying something. I think it suffered from some pacing problems,  and I'm not sure that most people who have not read the novel would completely understand what is going on.  But, Alex is lovely to look at, and seemed believable as an action hero.  I'm not sure that these fine, upstanding characters are exactly the roles he should be shooting for, he has more edge than that, and I think he is hobbled by his American accent,  but he pulls of the blandly likable role and gives it some gravitas, which is as much as I hoped for.  Now I can look forward to Beastly in two weeks, which has a more interesting director, is based on a better (albeit still Young Adult) novel, and from the look of the clips that have been popping up in the last few days,  gives Alex a chance to play a more interesting, nuanced character.

4 comments:

bufs said...

You wrote, "But, Alex is lovely to look at." He is that. And so much more. *sigh* Damn his silly arsed tats to hell. *sigh*

Jim said...

I saw the film on Friday. Not gonna displace "Gone with the Wind" as a classic film, but not bad. Alex Pettyfer and Callan McAuliffe sure made it worth watching though.

jaymcfly said...

Well I do love Alex in action and those power orbs have caught my attention , that and Callan McAuliffe .

Oh and I like Quin from glee too

st-blogustine said...

You do realize in order to play Beastly they're going to completely destroy his pretty boy image, right? I saw some stills of his makeup, and it's very very good. I think it's a brave role for him and will challenge the lust of all the fan girls and boys who like him :)