Buy Stuff

Monday, August 8, 2011

Angels And Martyrs

I'm feeling a bit artsy today, so I thought I'd share a little fine art with you. I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.  And what I like is pictures of hot men, even if the pictures ar in a five hundred-year-old painting.  We'll begin with this nice painting by the marvelously named  Franz von Stuck, called  Angel With The Flaming Sword, not to be confused with  Angel with a Lariet.  Poor guy, by the time of his death in the 1920s, Stuck's style was considered hopelessly old-fashioned.  But we know that  hot angels never truly go out of style .


More  after the break.


Here's a very masculine William Blake angel.


Caravaggio painted The Sacrifice of Isaac more than once in his career.  This seems to be the less popular of the two paintings that I'm familiar with. Here, the angel looks to me like a quizzical child, ("Hey Abraham, why you killing Issac?")  whereas Issac is a bit of a hottie


When it comes to homoerotic religious art, it's hard to beat St. Sebastian. For instance, there's  this very twinky Sebastian, by Niccolo Regnier.


Or, this one by Carlo Saraceni.  Does this look to you more like auto-erotic ecstasy than someone who has just been made into a human pincushion? Or is it just me?


This Sebastian by Guido Reni is quite well known. I remember seeing it on the cover of an Anne Rice novel. The novel didn't have anything to do with Isaac and Abraham, but Anne knows her audience.



This is also a Reni:


As is this:


I don't know about you, but I'm beginning to think that this Reni fellow kind of gets off on tying boys to trees. 

That's all for today.  Today's soundtrack is Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition.

4 comments:

Tack Black said...

That is awesome.

Joe Philips does some modern art in angelic styles. I'll email them to you if you want?

Vera said...

I like Joe Philips' style. I'like to see them.

Jason Shaw said...

Really lovely, thanks so much for the beautiful sight.

Jim said...

Nice to see fine art in one of my favorite blogs. Thanks!