Buy Stuff

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Babs

Barbra Streisand has a new album out called What Matters Most: Barbra Streisand Sings The Lyrics Of Alan & Marilyn Bergman,  and it's just lovely.  I've loved Barbra Streisand's voice for as long as I can remember, but I'm not always so in love with the material she chooses.  This, though, is just wonderful. This woman, love her or hate her, has been a major star for fifty years, and there is a reason for that. Nobody, repeat, nobody, can match her for phrasing and interpretation, and that doesn't even take into account the exquisite quality of her vocals.  She's 69 years old, and although her top notes are not quite what they used to be, her vocals have barely diminished since the 1960s. This may not be your cup of tea, I understand, but do yourself a favor and listen to her recording of I'll Never Say Goodbye, one of the most romantic songs ever written. At the risk of being cliché, I'm just going to say it:  Like butter!

No comments: